Friday, September 7, 2007

Djokovic ready to stake claim to Federer's throne

NEW YORK (AFP) — Novak Djokovic is ready to take his place as the next great challenger to Roger Federer's tennis throne, but the Serbian knows he still needs a breakthrough US Open semi-final victory to make his case.

Djokovic will play in his third consecutive Grand Slam semi-final at Arthur Ashe Stadium on Saturday against Spanish 15th seed David Ferrer with the winner to face Federer or Russian fourth seed Nikolay Davydenko in Sunday's final.

"It's normal he still thinks I cannot be the biggest threat to him because I didn't get to the finals of a Grand Slam. But I'm slowly getting to that experience," Djokovic said.

Third seed Djokovic lost to Spain's Rafael Nadal in the Wimbledon and French Open semi-finals and is 1-2 against Ferrer, winning on hardcourt but losing twice on clay. Even so, Djokovic and Federer will still be favored to advance.

"I cannot say I expected to do so well and be number three in the world after seven or eight months this year, but I've been working hard and the work is paying off," Djokovic said.

Federer, in his record 188th consecutive week atop the rankings, seeks his fourth US Open title in a row and 12th Grand Slam crown overall as he chases the all-time record 14 Slams won by Pete Sampras.

Federer has a 9-0 career record against Davydenko, including a US Open semi-final victory last year and a French Open semi-final triumph in June. But the superb Swiss shotmaker still regards the Russian as a threat.

"He's a fabulous player," Federer said. "Even though I have a fabulous record against him, I'm aware of his ability. Looking forward to a tough match. He's a great player."

Thus far, world number two Nadal has been Federer's chief foe. Nadal beat Federer in the French Open final and pushed the Swiss star in an epic five-set Wimbledon final.

But Djokovic is looking to kick down the door and join the rivalry. Some say he is already there.

"If there's one player who can be compared to Rafa and Roger, it's him," said Spain's Carlos Moya, who lost to Djokovic in the quarter-finals.

"He has been playing solid every week. Playing three Grand Slam semi-finals in one year is not easy. And he could go farther in this tournament.

"I think he's already there. He has a lot of potential. He can still improve. I think he can be No.1 in the world."

Federer is still the man to beat. In addition to his career sweep over Davydenko, he has a 7-0 career mark against Ferrer and is 4-1 against Djokovic, the loss coming in the Serb's astonishing run to the Montreal title last month.

Djokovic, 20, defeated Federer, 26, in the final after ousting Nadal and third-ranked Andy Roddick, becoming the first man since Boris Becker at Stockholm in 1994 to sweep the world's top three in the same event.

"Since I managed to win against him, even if it was a tight match, I believe more," Djokovic said. "I'm really looking forward to the next challenge, the next match against him.

"I have more confidence and I think I have enough ability to challenge the best players in the world and be one of the favorites to win this tournament."

Ferrer has beaten Djokovic this year in the round of 16 at Monte Carlo and in the same round at Bucharest in 2004 but dropped their only hardcourt match at an Indian Wells quarter-final in March.

"I'm going to be the favorite against Ferrer but he won against Nadal. It's going to be a difficult match," Djokovic said. "I think everything is open and anything can happen."

Ferrer knows that all-too well.

"Djokovic is unbelievable player, very young and he plays really well," Ferrer said. "He can move to No. 1 in the world in five or six years. He serves well. He has a very good backhand, forehand. He does it all."

Ferrer has stunned himself with such a deep Slam run on hardcourts, rescuing a match point against David Nalbandian and then ousting Nadal, but said he is playing the best tennis of his life.

"I'm playing really well in hardcourt and it's unbelievable," he said. "On hardcourt it's more difficult. It's not the surface I prefer. If you told me before semi-final in hardcourt, I never believe you.

"But this tournament is a dream, no?"

No comments: